After much reading and "listening" to Helen at Castle of the Immaculate and the 4real forum, I decided to try an experiment and have worn only skirts and an appropriate top since this past Trinity Sunday. I know, I know, it's nothing revolutionary or earth shattering about that in particular, but for me it has been a rather enlightening experience :).
A few things I learned about myself during this week of skirt wearing:
1) I can do all housework and play with the kids in a skirt, it actually doesn't get in my way, which was a reason I thought I might not enjoy the skirt.
2) I behave a little differently as my attitude seems less harsh when an annoyance comes up with the dc or my dh.
3) I find myself thinking in a more feminine fashion, ie. I like the way the skirt feels, it's so comfortable, it's cooler than shorts believe it or not, I'm inclined to be more gentle with my kids and love it when they get into the folds and hang on, so sweet to me :)
4) My dh loves it and has complemented me more this week than he has when I just throw something on for the day.
5) The big kicker: I have found myself thinking more about Our Lord and His Blessed Mother and wanting to emulate their LOVE and KINDNESS.
Don't know if it's the skirts or just a turning point in my spirituality, but I certainly will consider wearing skirts/dresses as a regular part of my dress as a way to consider a more modest and feminine way of thinking.
Another bonus and worthy of noting: my dd 10, sweet Violet has jumped on my skirt/dress band wagon along with me and has decided her shorts/skorts just really aren't all that lady like :) We have also had some very lovely discussions about being a lady and lady like behavior :)
If you are at all considering changing your perspective, try a week in a skirt (or dresses) and just see what happens, is it a hinderance or a help?? Is it a blessing or a curse? Please take some time to read the beautiful entries at Helen's lovely and spiritually fullfilling Castle of the Immaculate, it may be just what you need!!
Thanks for checking in on my experiment notes here, may God Bless you in your day!!