Just for FUN, this is a re-post from a few years ago, Enjoy!!
To mix it up a bit, I like to throw in a different schedule every once in a while and our day seemed ripe for it! The kids love this element of surprise (who doesn't) and they flowed through their activities, chores, and routines for school with a little more vigor! I too enjoy the break from structure, although it still ensures that we cover most everything necessary, but with a little more flexibility and creativity from my perspective!
I try to include all our regular subjects, but with a little twist. So here's how our day unfolded:
Everyone had their own bag with their activities, chores or assignments inside on small slips of paper. Easily enough, they grab, and do the item listed and paste it on a fill in sheet.
VIOLETS GRAB FOR THE DAY:
1) Set a new altar in the schoolroom
2) Read one of our Library Books on Ancient Greece and make a notebook page
4) Ballet Stretching and and Impromptu Dance to the keyboard
5) Research and choose a new Robert Frost Poem for memorization
6) Do 2nd page of Latin lesson 3
7) Say your 8 x's tables fast to mommy
8) Conjugate "voco" and "amo"
9) Check Banana science experiment and record any changes/findings
11) Work on your "bead" lion
12) Read aloud a chapter of Mara to mommy
13) Check bedroom "surfaces", de-clutter and dust
14) Vacuum 3 stairs with dustbuster
1) Read a chapter from Story of the World, Vol 1, Narrate to mommy
2) Piano time 20 minutes
3) NASA site games/exploration 15 minutes
5) Straighten Dresser and Desk in room, dust all
6) Do 2nd Page of Latin Lesson 7
7) Do 2nd page Spelling and write list words
8) Say your 4 x's tables fast to mommy
9) Name 10 Latin verbs and their meanings
10) Vacuum 3 stairs
1) Recite whole Squirrel poem
2) Cover Squirrel Picture with pattern blocks
3) Spray and wipe clean Microwave
4) Dust the blinds in kitchen and schoolroom
7) Read Maple Hill Farm November page with Violet
8) Collect "Build-Your-Own-Crane" Items
9) Listen to "Lovely Lady" with mommy
10) Read Chessie the Long Island Squirrel w/moomy
11) Do "Sign of the Cross" in Latin
12) Video time with Sean-Paul
13) Vacuum 3 stairs
14) Puzzle Pairs
Whew!! I can hardly believe that we actually did all of these things and got ourselves out the door to deliver Matthias to his first Cub Scouts meeting at the Parish Hall by 3:15!! It was a blast, and I think I see a trend here, the kids are begging for Grab Bag Day every week!! Give it a try and see how you like it and let me know what you like to Grab For!
Thanks for visiting and May God Bless you in your day!