February can be a super tough month for homeschooling moms. We need all the help we can get to finish out the year, especially if you've had a particularly difficult January due to sickness or cold weather. Or, if you are a year-round schooler, February tends to be the month that most families head out of town or take a break in the routine to rejuvinate.
I have found that altering the schedule just a mite or adding in some new fun things can help us (me) make it over-the-hump, so to speak, as Spring is just around the corner :) Here's a few ideas that we have tried with much success:
- Take more Nature Walks, especially when the weather cooperates. Even if it's just 10 minutes, getting outside in the late morning or right after lunch does wonders for my disposition, and of course for the kids too.
- Play more Games! We are having a blast playing the Math Games at this site, Hooda Math . They are the best site so far that we have found for amazing math & logic games, and they're FUN, fun fun! Our favorites are: Bloxorz, Factory Balls 2, and Hide Caesar. Sean-Paul's faves are Rescue Bear and Penguins Fun Fall. Needless-to-say, lots of entertainment and learning here for everyone! Plus, we enjoy leisurely rounds of ColorKu, Uno (we have the Cars version) and Tripoly!
- Give yourself permission to take a Day Off now and again, just to loaf off and enjoy the fact that you are free to do this BECAUSE you home school!
- Try to incorporate some One-on-One Time with each of your children each day/week, whatever your schedule will allow. Just the fact that you are immersed in schooling them each day and perhaps helping them with lessons or directing their learning can be all the more reason to just catch up on life with each of them wherever they are at. From the youngest to the oldest, it's a great way to keep a finger on the pulse of your home and family and to share in the joys of what makes their life interesting and exciting :)
- Last, but certainly not least, make time for YOURSELF and your HUSBAND. This is a time when you really need the support of your other half. Ask him to pray for you during this time when it can seem such a long time until dinner. You will be happy you asked.
I am hoping some of you will chime in with your February Boost ideas and pray that you are all healthy and well, as this can be a difficult time for many with illness. It's okay to post a NO WHINERS sign in the most travelled area of your home for a few weeks as well, since Lent is fast approaching. It'll be good food for thought for the masses :)
Many blessings and thanks so much for stopping by today.